You are how you start your day. If you're feeling ‘off' and your mindset isn't propelling you towards success, these morning hacks can help.
I used to listen to the news each day. I sat there thinking it was keeping me up to date with the world and what was going on in society. As an empath, I didn’t put two and two together. It never clicked that listening to only the bad news in the world was leaving me feeling exhausted and really negative. Really, what I was doing was feeding myself and developing my mind through bad news.
This routine resulted in me unconsciously being negative towards myself and picking myself up. I often judged myself for the smallest of things. It created this unrealistic perception in my mind about what I should be like and what my life should look like. I was quickly spiraling down and becoming so unkind to myself I developed OCD and depression.
With so many pieces of information flung at us each day it can be hard to focus on the things we want each day and be positive every day. The news generates an income from bad news, which leaves us feeling depleted and sometimes even a bit down from the sad and sorry headlines we hear each day.
Mind.org says “In many ways, mental health is just like physical health: everybody has it and we need to take care of it. Mental health problems affect around one in four people in any given year.”
So many of us are walking around feeling negative daily. We talk to ourselves in a negative way and this can leave you feeling exhausted and not so excited about the day ahead.
I stumbled across Neuro-Linguistic Programming back in 2016 and what I learned blew me away. I found there are a few morning hacks that I began to do each day that you can also do to begin your day. This encourages you to create new thoughts and feelings to lift your mood and feel better and more positive each day.
1. Have a glass of water as soon as you wake up. This helps make sure you are hydrated, feeling refreshed and giving your body a boost to wake up in the morning. Set the glass out at night when you go to bed. That way, it is there ready for when you wake up.
2. Journal. This is one of my favorite morning hacks. I am very passionate about and I strongly suggest to all my clients to help them stay on target with their goals. Journaling is amazing at helping to reduce any anxiety and overwhelm over what you might face that day. This is particularly effective when done first thing in the morning. Getting all of your thoughts and feelings onto the paper and not over-analyzing it at all. There is no right or wrong way to journal, you write down whatever it is you feel or want to write down and don’t stop until you feel it is all out. Your mind will quieten and you will feel so much more focused on the day ahead.
3. Get clear on what actions to take each day. Become intentional each day and on what it is you want to achieve. Being clear and reduce procrastination by writing down exactly what it is you intend to complete that day. You can place your hand on your heart and feel your heart beating. Then ask yourself “What is my intention for today?”
4. Practice gratitude. Some days can be difficult, and we may not feel our best for whatever reason. We can change the negativity of our energy by focusing on our gratitude and being grateful. When you feel unhappy and unfulfilled it is because you are looking outside of yourself for happiness. If you are struggling with negativity, remember we all do from time to time. It isn’t wrong to experience that. But try focusing on things coming out of that negativity that is positive, personal and about your future. What can you learn from the situation to help you grow?
5. Avoid the news. The news on TV, radio, newspapers. All of these media channels make money from telling bad news. You never hear them talking about the good news or the fantastic things we have going on in the world. Just listening to this bad news can be enough to affect the next few hours of the day, if not the full day. Avoid it at all costs. Feed your mind and soul with good stuff and things that light you up instead of your favorite music, podcast or an audiobook.
What are your favorite morning hacks to get you in the right mindset? Share in the comments below!